Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Yesterday's Papers...

Today for the first time I am missing my Sunday morning routine that I lived every 7 days for all my adult life. Up early (ok not that early) make a pot of coffee and get the two city papers as the rest of my house laid nestled in bed for the next hour or so. Then they would come down one at a time and grumble good morning (we were never very talkative first thing) and I split up the paper... Carolyn went for the sports, Stephen started with the funnies or entertainment as he waited his turn for the sports page to be free... and Ryan well as he got older I am not sure he ever got out of bed...haha. Then maybe a little breakfast as the "talking heads" came on TV and we would sit there half listening, reading and have a running conversations about the current events of the country and the world. Yes we Flynn's love to talk politics and read about our sports... actually I think it is the other way around. I am missing my sons very much this morning I guess and those days...

Reading news on the computer will NEVER be the same as reading a newspaper... I can not put into words my feelings about why but there is something missing for me... maybe I am just old-fashion in my ways.

Yesterday I draw-up rudimentary plans for an easle and gave them to a local carpenter to build, he is going to give me a price and unless it it outrageous I will get it done. I had grand plans to build it myself, but the process of aquiring all the tools, bargaining for wood, building sawhorses and so on could take months and just as much money... after all I am an artist not a carpenter, so logic dicates that I not spent the time building it, but rather using it.

Today I need to buy a rug for my home, a cheap, not too ugly rug... but it has to be about 2m x 3m and that will cost. Been pricing them all week and think I can get what I want for under 400Dhs. The weather is getting wet and raw (but still not like back in Boston) and my tile floors are lbrd bzzf on my feet.
Salama.

No comments:

Post a Comment