Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Light up the night...

This is what I see every night out my window (actually went to the roof for this shot... so I stretched the truth... big deal). Time is around 7:00PM on a Saturday, the runpawn (rotary to us in MA) is one busy intersection and crossing the street reminds me of George from Seinfeld when he was trying to get the frogger video game a cross a busy street. Many a morning I watch the cat and mouse game betwen cars, trucks and people. The minaret is from the mosque... every morning at 5:30 the call to prayer commences, the first of the five call to prayer each and everyday. Now the first of the day can go on for 30 minutes, it would be one thing if the chant and prayers were sung by some one with a nice voice, but that is not the case... the strangling of someone's vocal chords are what wakes me up every morning. This morning as I laid there, I wanted to open my window and yell "are you kidding me... haven't you hear of bells". But I stand out in a crowd as it is so hanging out my window yelling in english is not the best way to blend in.

An update on my home, I purchased some furniture this week, the place is coming together and I am beginning to make it feel like mine. The floor has been washed a few times... things are hanging onthe wall (unheard of in morocco) and in general I am happy here. Yes it is noisy but the light

1 comment:

  1. Love the night life Jim! Great photo! Cows, eh? I guess I would be shocked as well. Love the blog...keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete