Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Been Gone So Long...

Well actually not really... Another month has come to the end and I mark the days off and count the months until end of service and wonder is this normal? After three grueling months of training, another month living and breathing every waking moment trying to secure a place of my own to live, furnish it and finally feel complete again... I have actually only been an active PCV for approximately 30 days and yet I know I only have 22 months more in country. These thoughts are not mine alone, other PCVs are having the same reverse clock ticking off in their heads, as we miss home and friends and wonder what in the world the Peace Corps isthinking at times... Inshallah I will countdown to ZERO.

Things that have happened since I last wrote here... my home is furnished and looking nothing like a moroccan home, it has the feel of an American ex-pat with a touch of an artist loft... I almost feel ay home in my little apartment. I will post photos soon. Next, I took a spill down a flight of stairs while getting my bike... ended up with a banged up elbow, bruised ribs, very sore backside and tweeked my knee. All will heal, but a little concerned with my knee, it is hurting and I wonder what I did, getting old and years of ice hockey have taken their toll without taking a tumble down a wet marble stairway. Finally getting some work done that I feel good about, working is important to me and without it I might just go crazy so I look forward to adding as much as I can.

But the best news I have saved for last... Saturday my easle was delivered... to backtrack, I decided to commission a local carpenter to make me a basic tripod easle versus building it myself, drew up the design, we discussed the dimensions -yeah like I can talk to him in a common verbal language... most of our conversation was with drawings and sign language in between "Salam...labas, bixir... lhamdulah" ..............sukran, bsalma, llay eaoun. My easle is in my front room, positioned so I am lookingout the front window, next to my desk and across from the whiteboard... time to start working... but first I need paint, brushes and canvas... time to travel to Rabat.
Time to put my keyboard away for now... llay eaoun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment