Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Cows in the street in the city of Sefrou...

What day is it? Sleeping in on any morning here is really not as easy as you would think, there is the call to prayer at 5:30, then the sound of buta tanks being dropped off at the hanot below my place and the basic morning noisy of a city's major thoroughfare waking up... all of these things I knew when I took this place, I exchanged peace and quiet surroundings along with hot water for what was exactly what I envisioned when I thought about my place in a foreign country.

But this morning as sun streamed in the windows of my salon it was actually quite peaceful and as I laid within the warmth of my sleeping bag in that state of sleep where we all love to be in on a sunday morning I heard the "mooooowing" of a cow or did I? I am dreaming of milk or thick beef steak? So I lay there and shrug and think... no way and pull the bag over my head but then it happens again and again, as if a herd of cows are outside my window! I am thinking WTF, this can't be happening... Sheep yes, but cows no way! Now the battle begins in my head do I get up and look out the window and confirm what I know must be true or do I stay in my mummy-like confines of my sleeping bag. I just have to see! I have to know!, so like the father in the poem "twas the night before christmas"..."I sprang from bed to see what was the matter, away to the window I flew like a flash (well no I walked half asleep), tore open the shutters and threw open the window..." COWS!! in a city of 80k... cows in the streets of Sefrou.

Well that is how my day started and now I am having a decent cup of coffee, listening to Billie Holiday and wishing I had the Boston Globe in my hands... inshallah i will again someday.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the Globe shout out! Curtains are on their way to block out that evil sunlight.

    ReplyDelete