Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Summer comes early

It is very warm here in Sefrou this morning, after waking up to the call to prayer I laid there thinking it is not even 5:00 and it is already warm. I rolled over and stayed in the secure comfort of my sheets and only awoke again as the sun streamed across my face and I leaned over to turn on the laptop and check for email. Coffee, sweeping the floor as there is always a fine dust on everything and back to day two of laundry. Now I am sitting in my salon windows open coffee by my side in my underwear to stay cool and it is not even 9:30AM... beginning to fear what the summer will be like here. The positive is that it is not the bone-chilling cold that i experienced in my room in TimHdite and my clothes dry in record time on the roof.


I am noticing that the course of a day is changing slowly here... the mornings are swiya busy as always and the afternoons are still quiet but now that stillness has been extended an hour or so and the nights are becoming the time for moving around outside. I can only imagine what it will be like once the heat finally settles in for a long period. Last night I was out until 9 and the city was full and once back in my home life outside my window stayed active until after 11. Lucky I like the sound of city noise and the movement of people... I will never be able to settle into the suburbs for any long period of time... it is just not in my soul.

Working on a few small projects for fellow PCVs and one for the PC... trying to figure out what to do in the Sefrou area, but if I spend my full 27 months helping others with their projects then I am ok with that.

Meet a young Moroccan man during a free concert that I attended in Fes, I was sketching the musicians and he came upto me afterwards and it turns out he is a budding artist and we exchanged digits (very moroccan) and inshallah maybe I have found my first pupil. Here are two of my sketches from the concert, almost finished with my first sketch book and started my second oil painting of the Fes Medina... this one will be larger 70cm x 50cm.

No comments:

Post a Comment