Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

March Madness in Maroc

March... what can I say about March Madness in Morocco. The month started with company staying in my home and ended with people sleeping on the floor and in between we worked hard, got out of the country to Dublin for St. Patrick's Day and held a Marché Maroc Craft Fair in Fès... "Mr Wizard lets turn the wayback machine to early March..." The month started with protest happening around North Africa and it appeared to be spreading into Morocco, Libya splitting into civil war and the world wondering how to stop the mayhem and keep the arab world appeased... WTF just kill the Libyian madman!! But in Morocco the king came out and said a few of the right things and for the moment the people paused and once a movement pauses it takes too much effort to get the movement back. So in my eyes for the near future this country will stay at status quo. Between working on the marketing material for Marché Maroc Fès I was able to escape to the wonderful and beautiful world of Dublin City... the trip started with bzzf beer and pork in the Madrid airport along with hours of gin rummy, then on to Ireland and Guinness after Guinness. It was capped with the parade, Irish music, many pubs and me being mistaken for a local Irishman. The most bizzare thing happened at a pub on St. Paddy's... a beautiful, dark haired, green-eyed lass of all of 30 made move on me and during our conversation I learn her name is Meghan O'Connell... holy shit, I am thinking I have a way with the women of the O'Connell clan... needless to say after a wee talk and a peck on the lips we part ways... an O'Connell what a small world... still brings a smile to my lips. Of course we rallied and made the crazy decision to return to Morocco and back to the madness that carries the name of Marchè Maroc... I will not get into what that was like other than to say I left that kind of work shit back in the states... it was a trip dealing with printers, deadlines and all in a country that has no concept of time and everything is sealed with "Inshallah" or god willing. Now I am alone for the first time in over a month and a half... I look forward to getting my life here back for the next few weeks before I venture out again. It is time for reflection, painting and getting Sefrou back in my blood. Swiya b-swiya

No comments:

Post a Comment