Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Random Thoughts...

Sounds and Fury... The other day while hanging out with a few friends as dusk settled down the call the prayer commenced and as the call went out... "Allah 3ckbHar..." Jimi Hendrix's version of the Star Spangled Band qued up and the moment became surreal... It you have never heard Hendrix's version it is violent, moving and raw America and layered over the call from the mosque for the final prayer was a moment I will not forget as the clash of two cultures played out around me and I paused to savor the moment. Give me America everytime over any place in the world. Night Moves... As I have mentioned before the warm weather has come to Sefrou and sleeping at night now requires the windows to be wide open and this brings the night sounds into my living space. I live in a very busy intersection and I don't mind the commotion and sounds, but the past few nights I have noticed that life outside my window is very strange after the midnight hour, men gather and talk as if it is the middle of the afternoon, wild dogs roam around and the men cheer and yell as the dogs "hump" and I am repulsed by it to the point of wanting to confront them but lack the language skills to tell them they are mentally sick and people are trying to sleep and just to GO HOME. The other aspect is that I now see women out at that hour and in this culture that can mean only one thing "sex workers" as they are called here. Welcome to the neighborhood. Puberty... I have come to the conclusion that in a nutshell sexual repressed men and women are living in a constant state of puberty here. Because of the isolation of the sexes and taboos or religious dogma most of the population that I have observed are in living in that crazy world of early puberty, hormones raging and the wherewithall to undersand and control thus urges and feeling have not been developed yet and that is my take on it. Just my humble opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment