Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Monday, November 7, 2011

Vistors from another World...

I had my first (and maybe my last...haha) visitors from the States, my brother Tim and his wife Devra arrived into Fes and I meet them and off we went to the Medina at Bab R'Cif to the riad that they had booked. As anyone who follows a PCVers blog knows we tend to stay in the dirtest, nastiest and very cheap places (50-60dhs)... 5-6 in a room, no hot water, filthy turk and of course no toilet paper (we ALL travel with a roll). Well the place(s) that we stayed were OUTSTANDING!!! So zwin this place that it had slippers and robes... SLIPPER AND FRIGGIN ROBES!!! I must take a moment and thank them bother for treating me to this side of Maroc... it was such a nice gift... of course like any good PCV, I stripped the place of any food, soap, shampoo and I now have three sets of slippers.
Tim and Devra were here in Maroc for about one week, we shopped the medina in Fes... stopping at a shop and doing the mint tea while haggling over prices, an hour plus later we left with many gifts and the owner only overcharged us a little versus this orginal price. Fes my favorite city in Maroc and I think they enjoyed the medina which dates back to the 700AD and has over 300,000 people living in that maze of tiny streets. From Fes we landed in Sefrou and they got to see my city and place, a lovely dinner with my friend Ali and his lovely family capped our stay here. From Sefrou we headed to Meknes, Volubilis and Moudlay Idriss. Then on to Tanger and finally they took the ferry across to Tarifa, Spain and we said our goodbyes and tariq salam.
I guess I have been here too long... after a few hours here Tim and Devra were pointing out the "oddities" they saw in amazement and I was oh you find that odd? They also could not believe the smells and poor air quality and I did not smell anything unusal... as for the air quailty, well they say that the life expectance of a PCV is 7 years less than the average... so maybe the air here is shaving a few years off at the end... inshallah.
Finally... Thanks so much for coming to see me here and letting me experience Maroc as a tourist (ok more like a tour guide) and for saying that my language was good... HAHA.

No comments:

Post a Comment