Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Random Thoughts and Fears

Piles of Skins... Last night as I was getting ready to crawl under bzzf blankets I glanced out my window to see the piles of fresh sheep skins lining the sidewalk... fast forward to early this morning as I opened the windows to a beautiful "Paris" blue sky and low and behold all but a few of the skins were gone... where did they go in 7 hours? I can hear every sound that takes place outside my window and I did not here any commotion such as the lifting and hauling of a ton plus of sheep skins? Maybe the big bad wolf came by.
Sheep's Head and other delights... So I am hanging out at the local fire pit (think Pats tailgating) watching sheep heads and feet being cooked to a charcoal black... the heads freshly removed fom the body are carried in buckets or plastiic bags to the fire pit and tossed on the grill... eyes wide open and all. These young men covered in smoke make 15Dhs for each head and hooves... they were very busy. So as we wait for the head to be cooked to perfection I am discussion the possiblities of once again eating the head of this animal... so as the conversation lulls I say with a smirk on my face... "you know there is nothing better than a little"head" in the afternoon..." knowing full well that no one has any idea what I mean... and of course they all agree that head in the afternoon or evening for that matter is great. Sometimes I need those moments to keep me grounded... (yes I am bad)
Fear in the Turk... There is no other way to discribe the panic that runs through you when in a small turkish toilet you lose the grip on something and it begins to fall... TOWARD THE HOLE....NOOOOOOO!!! The panic starts the second it leaves your hand...you convulse trying to grab it and yet it is still traveling downward... as it hits the tile and spins and rolls always toward the hole of no return you starts playing goalie to keep it from the horror.... please Lord I do not want to have to fish this out of the hole. Sometimes it is just the cap to the deodorant... but sometimes it is more important such as your tooth brush. I keep a bottle in the hole as a plug when not in use for a number of reasons... from odor, if something lives in there to keep it in there, but mainly to stop the something from falling down it.
Movie time... Last night I watched a movie that I got from a friend, The Legend of the Fall with many great actors... as I was reading the subtitles about 20 minutes into the movie I realized that it was in French... why did it take me 20 minutes to make that connection. Have I been away from english for so long... or was I just so cold and tired that my brain stopped functioning... either way I watched the whole movie and enjoyed it.
Painting versus work... having a hard time getting motivated todo real work these days... I am painting which is great but I need to clear my head to get two projects back underway... inshallah.
That is it for today... day two of the holiday and I have an invite for more sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment