Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Got Fever For...

Well actually I just have a fever and up until today it was raging and I was swiya concerned with my health over the last 24 hours. I somehow went over 11 months in Morocco with very little health issues compared to many of my fellow PCVs, it took going to Spain during San Fermin for me to get very sick. Somehow I came in contact and got a virual infection that put me down for the count over the last 72 hours. To recapture, last week during the opening ceremonies in which thousands of people are drenching in in sangria and who knows what, I came home from that party after some drink, food and too much sun and got violently ill, after that passed and I was never 100% and a day later had a sore throat and what seemed like a low-grade fever.... but I was there to run with the bulls and a little sickness would not stop me.

Well to jump ahead upon return to Morocco my fever climbed and I could barely get out of my own way... so I did what a Flynn almost never does.... I called the PCMO (doctor) and explained what was going on and the doc (let me say here that the PCMO is about the only thing in PC that functions on all cylinders) they told me to get some Amoxil and to take it and keep them posted on my condition. Which may not sound like much, but believe me when you are here it is a lot.

The last 72 hours after running a high fever, my head pounding and face hurting, having trouble breathing and in general wondering which section of my body the infection would attack next... this has been as sick as I can ever remember in my adult life but other times I was in the comfort of my home in the States and had the availablity of a hot shower, clean sheets a doctor who could see me the same day and someone to make sure I had food to eat... in Morocco things can go from bad to worse in a very short span... so I am happy to say that today I am feeling better, stripped my bedding and hand washed them and hung them out, will take a bucket bath and I hope to go shopping as food in my home is running out. Yet I know I am not well yet and must control my urge to get back to a normal day... so rest is still my major activity for the next few days.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes

No comments:

Post a Comment