Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Living For The City...

This is the woman who sells mint and whatever fruit is in... she starts off every morning across the street in the shade of the old trees, sprinkling water over her goods as the day heats up. She moves with the shadows and as the sun creeps to it zenith she will pack and disappear until the sun in about an hour above the horizon line... at which time she will stake out a good spot on the sidewalk and hope the evening treats her better than the morning. I have come to admire this woman as she scraps a living out of this life. As the sunsets the daily pro-king propoganda circus that has become a staple here as of the last week descends upon her space and she gathers her boxes and moves back as the crowds interfer with her business. As the crowds chants and hoots become nothing more than an echo she moves back to her spot and tends to her produce and beckons the locals on their travels to and fro.


Life is hard here in Morocco and the individual eeks out a living competing with 100's in the same town who are selling the exact same stuff. I wonder at time how they do it and if in the same situation could I handle it? May guess is yes as we only know what we know.... if that was all I knew then I would.

I sit in my window and follow her daily activity with my pen in hand and when I am in need of mint or saphron I will stop by and get my supplies... thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment