Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Too Hot to Paint...

WTF how can that be, yesterday I was sitting out sketching and the paper was sticking to my forearm and the beads of sweat were rolling down my arm onto the paper and even though I have tried many different techniques when painting this is not one I wish to develope any further. The sun blazes down and I am reminded once again that I am in Africa and this is just the beginning. I believe the cold I experienced back in October thur February deceived me that the heat of Africa was further south and that I would encounter nothing like I have felt over the last month.


Of course if my brother who lives in the heat of the Carolina's was sitting here he would snicker and say welcome to the South brother... then again he can escape the heat into the air conditioned world that made the south liviable. Here all I have is the shade and upto two cold buckets baths a day... well cold is not the correct word as the water out of the tap is now warm and and i let it sit in the bucket for awhile to cool down. As soon as I enter my home I strip to my shorts and consume litres of water and yet i am still getting exhausted from the unescapable heat.


I worry that my computer will not make it through the summer as it is running hot and the dust of this country is killing it. We have not had rain here in the Sefrou area for over two weeks and even then only passing storms. The flies are thick and they are pests and everywhere... thank goodness I installed window screen a few months ago... otherwise my home would be like all the other homes here full of friggin FLIES.


Well as I read this entery I see I am whinning just a swiya bzzf... so let me change the subject and bring you up to date on what I have been working on here since January.

Marche Maroc Fes (craftfair): Worked with a small team to create the maketing collaterial, new logo, design and branding. This project kept many of us busy for a few months and I decided it was too much like work back in the states, so...
Marche Maroc Essa: I stepped back from this one and only was involved in creating a map and inventory form, yet made myself available to answer any marketing questions.
Business Cards: designed business card for 4 different co-ops
Flyers/Brochures: designed 3 small brochures and have two more in the works
Logos: designed 4 new logos, revamped 3 more and have about 6 more logo project in the que
Product Catalog: preliminary work on a co-op down in southern morocco which can then be used tocreate a new website
Medical Form: created a medical form based on an idea from a local PCV that used illustration to inform people when to take their meds when the patient can not read.
Product Labels: designed new product labels for an argan oil co-op.
Websites: Looking over the Sefrou website and hope to make recommendations... but that may never come to pass. Have taken the stance that websites for some of co-ops are a little to advanced at this point in their development... but if asked I will give feedback and help in anyway I can.
Misc: Helped the local artisan apply for and receive a US visa for one of her workers (child) to go to America and attend the Santa Fe Craft Fair. Gave a presentation on local marketing and basic design theory at IST. Trying to layout and redesign the Art Resource Manual created by two RPCV... I just can't seem to find the time to devote to this. In general I try to be a pain in the arse to the Peace Corps by refusing to do their foolish paper trail.

With the end of Small Business Develpoment Program in Morocco I have taken the approach that I will offer my skills to as many co-ops around Morocco as I can, instead of just working with just one here in Sefrou... I believe that if I can create professional logos, business cards, collaterial marketing materials... for many and give them the resource materials to update in the future... then I have done my job.

Finally I have created a few oil paintings that I like, many watercolors and I draw everyday and this is what keeps me sane.

I think that is about it... I am sure I have forgotten a project or two but you get the idea of what i have been doing here since January when I finally got settled into Sefrou

No comments:

Post a Comment