Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Porto... What a Beautiful City.

Porto Portugual... what more can I say than it is at the top of my list of cities outside of America that I have visited and found to be so much more than one could have imagined. The two paintings I have posted here are the views from the apartment we rented... I can not say enough how relaxing this trip was for myself and the crew I went with... wonderful food and drink, a clean well organized city where the people are open and warm to strangers versus what the norm is in Maroc. I will temper my reaction to returning to Marrakech for another time... this should be about Porto and 4 great days.



The trip begins for me as I head to Fes and onto a souk bus heading to Khenifra for a night... the temperature in Fes is 32 degrees C and as the bus travels south the temp in Khenifra is 39degrees or 101F and the bus had to have been 10 degrees hotter, smelly and a few people losing their lunch into plastic bags... (where am i and what happened to my wonderful life HAHA)... finall arive in Khenifra for a wonderful meal prepared by Marcia the company of most of my CBT and to sleep before we take a 6-7 hour bus ride to Marrakech and into 114 degree heat! MARRAKECH... Oh weird and bizarre Kech... 45 degrees (114) are you kidding on June 14 it was the hottest I have ever felt, dry heat... 114 is hot! so don't give me the dry heat argument... it was F$#& HOT. Dealing with the kech taxi drivers and the aeroport.. we boarded the plane and headed to Porto (at last) arriving to perfect weather of about 68 at night and after finding our way through the subway and taxi we arrived at the apartment... a perfect spot and a great place... we dropped our bags and venture out to find find food...a small stand serving food and beer by the river beckons us... OMG, a civilized world once again. Back to our place... a game of hearts is pursued, more drinks and laughs we finally collapsed into a sleep around 3:30AM and hoping to start the morning fresh.


Coffee is needed... a small coffee place by the river is located (beer is served at all times) and with my watercolors by my side this how I started and ended the daylight hours each day... I got about 8 small watercolor sketches done... nothing in too much detail, but I am pleased with most of them.


Porto is so relaxing in all phases, the city is just a wonder to walk around and the food is bountiful and well prepared and cheap. The transportation system is modern and readily available yet the city is very walkable... it has the old Europe feel in a clean way that is missing in Rome and a few other places I have seen. Beach, citylife, public transportation... in closing Porto is one great place to visit... or live.... boa-noite

No comments:

Post a Comment