Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Friday, May 27, 2011

South Side

This is my city... it sits about 20k southeast of Fes and at the foot of the Middle Atlas Mountains. I am told it has a population close to 70k and I can believe it, older the Fes and once the center of the Jewish population in Morocco, but now there are only a handful left, but their mark and history is embedded in Sefrou and even though their numbers have dwindled to a handful since the French left in 1956 they still come back and give to the city. I live in the Ben Saffar section of the city, it is lively and never seems to sleep... If you look at the image I have posted here I mark where I live and it is almost the dead center of Sefrou... you can see the mosque and if you close your eyes you can hear the call to prayer.

Sefrou still has it walled city (medina) in tacked... divided by the river it is a maze of alleys and pathways that are filled with shops selling everything for high priced jewelery and goat heads, intestine and brains... my favorite part of the medina. The smells and sounds are wonderful but unlike Fes mammoth medina Sefrou's is tiny and less intimidating.

People here are friendly, but for a large city the number of english speakers can be counted on both hands and that includes me... everyday I am asked how my arabic is coming along and the answer is usually the same "swiya b' swiya"... what they really have a hard time understanding is that my French is even worse... I think they believe I am an idiot...HAHA.

Well that is my town... it is not Boston, but then again no place is like Boston... "god's country"... but it will fill the void for now or until I call Boston home once again.

Salam.

No comments:

Post a Comment