Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Welcome to Cafe Argentina...

Cafe Argentina stares back at me everyday from my salon window, it seems so out of place here... not the establishment but the name. It is a busy cafe with a seedy pool hall attached that i have not ventured into... one of the host sons hung out there and in general I don't think it is a place for a 53 year American with limited arabic but slightly above average pool skills... no good can come from me entering into this place... even though I have the urge to go in. Maybe i will run into Yussef and he can try to play me.

Pool halls are big business in Sefrou, I know of at least a half dozen and can bet there are many more... it seems so out of place in this society. I can say that a pool hall is the same everywhere, except here the tables are so close that back in the states it would be a reason for blood to be shed as players bumped and interferred with the hustle.

This afternoon there was a good size demostration march by my window and up toward the center of town... it was peaceful and well organizedas there were posters and signs and bullhorns. A few Chez Guevara t-shirts and a flag... almost 50 years later his image still represents change in governments...


it is Sunday night and hot in Sefrou... wish I had a drink but will settle of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment