Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Hot Fun in the Springtime..

Once again I was taken from my sleep by the bright morning sun and the warm still air of midday at 6:30AM... May is coming to a close fast and June looms as the summer heat is starting to settle in for the next few months. I asked around about the temperature because it was the topic of most conversations (well at least to me) and when I pursued the topic to inquire about what is in store temperature wise, I was told that the summer heat in Sefrou will hit 40-45 degrees if not 48 at times. Of course I am illiterate in that measurement so I did the conversion and said in a gasp 100-113 F.... ARE YOU S%$& ME!!! Yesterday was my first room-temp bucket bath and I have a feeling there will be many more to come.

I can see that the on-coming heat is already keeping many people indoors during the day... the nights are getting busier and noisy as last night the square where I live was busy until well after 1AM... just wait until Ramadan.

Speaking of my little square and the view the painting above is from my salon... a small watercolor sketch I did yesterday from my window... I did a "whiteboard" view back in February by this time I have color.

Computers don't bounce... I dropped my laptop on the unforgiving Moroccan tile floor and broke the screen... I was both pissed at my stupidity and the idea or being without my lifeline and work tool and the idea of how much is it going to cost to fix or bet a new one. I spent the morning at the two local "computer" places and got prices... but in the afternoon I hooked up with Ali and we made a few calls and he found a man "Rachid" who everyone says is the best around... even better than going to Fes... yeah I have heard this before. So we go to his shop and I am impressed with his knowledge and all the computers he is working on (Morocco is tough on electronics)... he tells me to come back the next day after 7PM and it will be fixed... and so un-Moroccan like I go back he has fixed it but before he completed the job wanted me to approve the cost.... 1300Dhs.... wow, but I need it so Ali talks to him and gets the price down to 1100Dhs and we agree and 40 minutes later I leave with a new screen and a little lighter in the wallet... but it is paramount to my job here to have a computer... inshallah I will not drop it again.
It is time to stop writing and get onto other things... like staying cool.

Salam

No comments:

Post a Comment