Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Chefchaouan

Is the "Blue City" about 4 hours and a 7oDhs bus ride from Fes. The trip there is rather unspectacular but the city itself is unique and very chill. As you come into the city that sits on the side of a mountain and sprawls down into the valley it looks like any other Moroccan town and at first I was unimpressed and wondering why I had just taken a 4 hour bus ride to see it. But as you enter the medina and get your first of many offers to but kif "... good stuff man, the best man... you want" the boy asks... you begin to see the reason it is on the tourtist destination.



Finding the riad and dropping my bag off, I head out to explore, and as the sun hits the building splashed in varying shades of blue and begin to she the beauty of the city... the intense white trimmed in brillant blues grabs you at every level. As I walked around I noticed the number of tourist here more than any place I have visited outside of Kesh... the sweet aroma of the harsh is everywhere.



About a 45 minute grand taxi ride takes you out to hike to God's Bridge a nature arch 100's of feet above the river that cuts through the mountains down to the valley. The hike is a well cut trail and the sights are lovely. On the way back the river pools in spots to create swimming holes... I climb down and dangle my legs in the cool water. The taxi is waiting (cost a little more to have him wait a few hours) and back to the riad I go. I spend another day taking pictures and roaming the city and then onto the Bus back to Fes and a "knuckle" back to Sefrou... exhausted but so glad I saw this city.

No comments:

Post a Comment