Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Alone at work...

This is a work in progress... I started this painting the other day and it is coming together quickly. The subject is making "yarn" from wool... It is a tedious process and for the most part still done by hand in all areas of Morocco. She will sit there working the wool into strings of yarn in the blazing sun dress in heavy clothing. The wool will be used to create the "berber" rugs that this area is famous for.
This was one of the few painting that I actually did a "comp" drawing for mainly because there is a lot going on with her and I wanted to get it right before I put color to canvas. Because I am working in a small(ish) format and I am lacking small brushes, I create these "points" to apply the color into small area such as the faces... my latest material for this tool is the cardboard from Reese's Cups that my Mom sent me... I received Bzzzf candy last week. So I eat a Reeses Cup, and take the small square and fold it until it is ridgid and dab the paint to the canvas... the upside is i am eating lots of candy... the down side is that I am eating lots of candy!!
When I have completed this piece I will post the finished artwork.
Salam-

No comments:

Post a Comment