Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Making many lists, checking them... endlessly

Today was a busy day... I received an email from the Moroccan Desk containing four attachments to read, had a dumpster dropped off at my home, cleaned out my bureaus and closet and made a list and will be checking it a thousand times. In between all of that I am wrapping up my last week working and training two people.

The email was nice to get because as everyone who has gone through getting an invitation can state firmly... the peace corps really needs to communicate better, but since the invite I find they have stepped up their game. The email came with the following attachments and links to two short surveys.
Desk Letter – a welcome from the Morocco Desk
Letter from Country Director David Lillie – a welcome from your new Country Director!
Letter to Family and Friends – a letter of reference to be distributed to family and friends
Bridge to PST – information regarding your Pre-Service Training


All very interesting, but the Bridge to PST was the most informative... I will post about that later.

Back to my lists... today was clothes day, going through every stitch of clothing I have and made three piles; stuff that should have been discarded years ago, clothing that I will not be taking but will want/need when I return, and the largest pile is of course clothing to pack. Now the "to pack" pile is broken down into two piles (yes I maybe over thinking this)... one pile is clothes I know for sure will be coming with me underwear, socks, gloves... and the other pile is on the wait and see list that will get pared down over the next 10 days. It would be so much easier if I knew where in Morocco I was going to finally be living, but of course that is not to be known for at least a few months after I arrive in Morocco. So it is a battle of long-sleeves versus short-sleeves and from what I have been reading the long-sleeves have the upper hand or arm...

For the most part things are moving along, even during my moments of panic and I have had a few, as each day peels off the calendar and think "there is no way i can get it all done..." I take a step back and think... relax it will all fall in place. Maybe I am delusional and foolish but I do think I will be ready and have a few days to spare to go over my lists again... Inshallah.

2 comments:

  1. hey james,

    sorry to be creeping all over your blog. i'm a current volunteer in morocco, and it's ramadan, so you know. nothing to do. anyway! a possibly helpful tip for you regarding clothes packing: you are going to wear the same clothes over and over and OVER again. seriously. i overpacked in terms of clothes, and i will wear the same t-shirt like four times before i decide it smells. it's gross, but welcome to life as a peace corps volunteer. see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alli
    THANKS!!!
    I have been looking at the pile of say 10-15 shirts and wondering what am I thinking... pared it down to 5-6 and then one nice dress shirt and maybe even that is too many.

    Is there something you wish you had packed and something never even looked at? Keep "creeping", I need all the suggestions I can get... see you soon.

    ReplyDelete