Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Eighty Pounds...

The Peace Corps only allows a person two piece of check-in luggage (80lbs max) for 27 months of service. So today being a "tax-free" Sunday I grabbed my list and headed out to the store and pick up a few things that I may need in Morocco. First was the trek to Best Buy (or the house-of-worship as my brother would say) to pick up a portable hard drive and a few other trinkets. Also while there I purchased a laptop for my parents so I can contact them from overseas... Shhhh I haven't given it to them yet as I was setting it up today. Also I should mention that it was a joint purchase among my siblings.

Next it was on to LL Bean to get a duffel bag and a backpack. I spent more time looking over backpacks than I did buying a laptop... I guess that tells you were my comfort zone is. So now armed with two pieces I can begin the process of trying to figure out what to bring and what to leave behind. I have read much about Morocco and it climate and depending on where I end up stationed, I could be in the Atlas Mountains where the winters are harsh or near the coast or desert and never need more the a hoodie and a bathing suit.

I have been following a few blogs from PCVer in Morocco and I gotten a few tips on what I will need and want to bring and what I can get there or have sent later. Normally I pack hours before a trip, but this is more than a trip and I think I will need the full month to get it down to "Eighty Pounds". Stay tuned for more updates on my list to find out what makes the cut and what stays behind.

assalamu alaikum

4 comments:

  1. I travel to Morocco quite a bit and decided to buy a Mountainsmith duffel bag because it is about 11 pounds lighter than my large suitcase and 11 pounds of stuff can make a big difference. I wear my heaviest clothes for the flight, bring a coat (all weather coat) with pockets and put stuff in those pockets to save space (things that won't break but I need for traveling, language book, Kleenex and that sort of thing), I pin a pashmina scarf to the collar too. If you have a hat you can wear it for the flight, an umbrella (long umbrellas are easy to find in Morocco, but those small, compact ones that are convenient to travel with are not easy to find) you can bring that too, and a book for most flights. I learned to pack my carry on bag very densely and with my heaviest items that are allowed in the carry on. I put my DVDs and Cds and software in a 50-spool CD box and it saves a lot of space, tuck batteries and things in small spaces, etc. I am moving there in a few months and mailing some of the heavier things that won't make it in the luggage, a heavy bottle of calcium pills, some heavy food items and such, and mail it flat-rate to save money on postage, again packing the box very densely. If you have family that can mail packages that will help you.

    A small LED flashlight is very valuable in Morocco, for traveling and for the occasional dark toilet without a light inside, even a small LED key chain light is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm going to be a youth developer in Morocco. My staging in September 13th in Philadelphia. I was wondering, are you in North Carolina? You mentioned the tax free Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kristen: No I am in Massachusetts and they "blessed" us with a tax free day and I spent like a drunken sailor. Looks like I may see you in Philly... the clock is ticking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @tagalong: thanks for the insight, got a large duffle for the same reason "weight". The is great advice about wearing the heavy stuff and packing the pockets. Picked up an LED flashlight (hand cranked) the other day. Also have started filling the p.o. flat rate boxes, will have about 4 filled with things i know I want after I get settled and my sons will send them off.

    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete