Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Man in the Mirror...

What a beautiful Saturday in Sefrou... the sun is shining and the temps hovers aound 60. Word out of Boston is that another storm is about to descend onto my fair city and region and pound an already snowbound populace with another 10-12 inches. I hope the rodent was right and that spring is coming soon.

I have had my easle for a week and finally got to use if for more then just a bulltin board, yesterday I was shown the only printer in Sefrou (he has a heildberg press... actually two) and after I was introduced to him he gave me two large sheets of paper... GOLD, Jerry....GOLD!! So this morning after almost two weeks without drawing I do what I always do when I have been away from it for too long... I did a quick self-portrait. So with mirror in hand and my 2B pencil I attacked the paper and found it to be better than I thought but still not what i like to work on with graphite. 30 plus minutes later I had my first in I hope to be a series of portraits during my stay here.
For all my friends back home... yes I have lost weight (approx. 15+lbs) so my face is thinner than it has been in a long time, and the beard is new and it helps me blended in a little (yeah right). Once I get some oils I will add some color to my portfolio.

Finally I witnessed a small rally in the streets of Sefrou... not sure what the cause as I do not read arabic script (thanks peace corps) but I assume it has to do with everything that is happening in North Africa... or it could have been a "white" sale for the local hanut.

No comments:

Post a Comment