Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

There is a House in Sefrou...

(cue the Animals "House of the Raising Sun) I have been looking for three weeks now and everyone tells me sure there is a house here or there and yet when I try to see it... Poof... it vanishes. Well now I have three on the hook and nshallah, I will get to see one of them. I am trying to figure out the amount that PC will cover in my city... the window is 600Dhs - 1200Dhs but they wouldn't say how they pick a number. The average rent here sounds like it is around the 1000-1200Dhs range but you can't ask the price at the beginning, you have to wait until you see the place then talk price... sound completely ass-backwards but that is how it is done.

I need to be in my own place, with PC approval of my home by January first, the clock is ticking but I think it will happen. I have started to acquire a few things... glasses, plates, a table and chairs... but will need a lot more... nqta b'nqta kay-kHl lwd.

The weather here has been great, sunny, dry and about 65 degrees, Sefrou doesn't get snow often, but this is usually the rainy season and so far it has only rained a small amount. Compared to TinHdite I am now living in Southern California type weather.

Sidebar: I am not sure if I mentioned this in the past, but if for some reason I don't make it home alive from Morocco it will be because I have been hit by one of the friggin drivers here... since I have been back here in Sefrou I have almost been hit by a car at least a half-dozen times and I have seen two crazy accidents. Firstly there are no traffic lights, nobody obeys a stop sign and crosswalks forget it... walking within the crosswalk will almost certainly bring you within inches of get hit by a petite taxi. They make Boston drives look like saints and to describe it would be like a video game,driving on the wrong side of the road, flying through intersections... really i could go on. Oh nobody uses the side walks... for good reason... that will be my next rant.

Lastly working with my tutor almost daily, I stop by his shop and hangout, each night I write a paragraph or two in darija bring it to him to correct. I feel like I am moving forward in my language skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment