Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Friday, December 10, 2010

Arabrenchlish and Sign Language...

Back in Sefrou after a week in Kech, trying to get all the lose ends tied up so I can get comfortable and start getting to know my artisans and what they want and need and try to make a plan. I visited the police to get my cart se jeus, found my tutor and start today and now have the word out on the street that I need a home by the first of January. This will be the most difficult. To get all this done here I have settled on a combination of arabic/french/english (Arabrenchlish) and sign language to communicate what I need. It is clumsy yet effective and so far I have been able to perform., but that will have to slowly stop as I use my tutor to get my pronouncation of the language down. I had to stop him mid lesson to explain what is up with my dialect of english known world-wide as Bostonian English. he was having difficult comprehending what I meant so I gave him the famous "Park the car in Harvard Yard" or Pahak the cahah in Hah'vahad Yahd... and of ofcourse the words mirror or mir'ha. I think he now understands the monumental tutoring job he has before him... nqta b'nqta kay-hml lwd... nshallah I will improve my prouncation of Arabic. That means "drop-by-drop the river get full... god willing". Will I lose my Boston accent after two years of this... I doubt it very much!

The weather here has been beautiful since my return from Marrakech, I asked around and for the most part there will be almost no snow but bzeef sta (much rain)... that sounds go to me.

Lastly I downloaded about a dozen movies from a PCV while in Marrakech (wish I had taken my portable HD to Kech). For the most part I went with action movies. At Christmas I will bring the HD and get some more (100's) ... watch the first Bourne movie last night, part two this weekend. All I need now is a little popcorn, a couch and someone when to snuggle with... hmmm maybe snuggling and the Bourne series are not a good match... on second thought snuggling goes with ALL movies...period.

Heading out soon to practice my Arabic and find a nice place to draw....miss everyone and can't believe I will not "be home for Christmas..."

1 comment:

  1. Jim...nqta b'nqta kay-hml lwd... Good Luck with that!I think you're missing a few vowels. There are letters there that should not go together. Besides, stay out of the damm river! It's winta!
    Stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete