Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Sunday, December 19, 2010

It is all about relationships...

Today was a full-court press to find a place to live... I will skip my continuing rant about the Peace Corps "lflus" allotment and talk about what I saw tonight. As you know I have been looking for my final "resting" place that will hold me for two years. Up until now it has been at a pace that was making me wonder if I would find a place by January first. Well tonight my friend and I hit the streets with a mission.

People tell me Morocco is all about relationships and tonight I saw that in all it glory... I believe I am one step closer to having my own home soon, but that is the secondary story, how it happens is the real story...

First, we did stop at a few real estate "commissioner" to see what was available and get his take on the going price for rents, but it really happens on the street and with relationships. Every shop we walked into, every fourth or fifth person we passed we stopped and greeted, kissed and greeted again before the question of "do you know of a place for rent" and if they didn't they thought they might know someone who did and the phones come out or a shout across the street and the process was happening. It is amazing to me that when asked the person will stop and start contacting they friends... and so on. A young man leaves his group of friends to walk us to a place that he knows in empty. From there we talk to the tailor a few doors down, he gives us the name of the owner's brother, who my friend knows we go to his shop and call his sister... and tomorrow I am seeing the place. I can not do justice to what I witnessed.

So tomorrow I am seeing two places for sure, with a few more in holding patterns until I find out more about them. 3alaqat xuya...3alaqat!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment