Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Heat and Fasting...

Day two of fasting... with the temperature hoving around 108 degrees here in Sefrou, Ramadan was in full swing when I returned and now 48 hours later I am getting an understanding on the ebbs and flows of daily life during the holy holiday which lasts one months. During Ramadan muslims fast from sun up until sunset... fasting means no food, fluids, vices, sex... so our days are flipped as I mentioned in a previous posting I am staying up until 4AM and "trying" to sleep or rest from 4AM-1PM. During the day I may venture out for a short walk or errand but mainly i sweat in the heat of my home. I am fasting during the day, but today I broke down and had water... as long as I drink only in my home, I am not crazy and in this heat I will need to consume water during the day... I am not muslim.



Very little goes on during these day, I am not sure if it is because of the holiday, the heat of August or the combination. At the signal that the sun has set and the end of the days fasting, the few business that are open shut and the streets are empty for the next hour, then life brings again around 9 and stays busy until 2 or 3AM. Last night I walked the town and got my haircut at midnight and stopped and had the wonderful fruit drink until 1:30AM... it was the best time of the day, temps still in the high 80's but nice.



Sleeping in this heat during sunlight is a challenge... but I am getting some sleep so lets see what it is like in a week. Salam-


No comments:

Post a Comment