Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

My Town....


The last week of CBT... it has both the feeling of "thank the Lord" and "Oh Shit". In two weeks we will no longer be small units, but singular vessels adrift in L'Mgrib trying to function and stay sane for the next two years. Now that I am about to leave my little town in the Middle Atlas Mountains I think it is ok to mention the name and post a few images. The town is TimaHdite and honestly I have seen it spelt at least five different ways on signs around Morocco. Outside of the cold and altitude if is a very nice place with a large suq and very friendly people. Looking forward to coming back in a year and taking up one of the locals who said he could "drink me under the table"... it was translated after the fact but I stored it way and once my darija is better Iwill travel back to here in the warm weather of course and sit down and let the challenge begin.
Today we travel out to one of our family farms for a long hikeand then a three mile plus walk back. It is your typical stone one level home... this area is the rockest place I have ever seen and that is saying something for a New Englander. The rocks appear to be lava-like rocks that have the look of being under water at one time. We walked up the mountain ever higher and this is one of the views. It is spectacular and breath taking to see the mountains rising up and up. I will miss this place for sure and I will always have a piece of this place in my soul. I know I have complained about the weather and the language difficulties... but all in all I think it was a great town to be in and my CBT group is outstanding. This is a short post and will talk more about my 2 months here coming to an end and getting ready to be swore in...

No comments:

Post a Comment