Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A little Europe in Morocco...

Rabat is a beautiful city, more European than Moroccan. It is on the ocean and it just had a nice feel to it. Thursday (Thanksgiving) was the day all the new PCV's were to travel off to their new sites... breaking up the "Band of Brother/Sisters". Well I just wasn't ready to go... I had seen very little of the city and I needed more I booked the room for another night and spent Thursday roaming the city and eating well with another PCV who felt the same way. We walked the city down to the shore and found a cafe over looking the Atlantic and had an expresso and watched the surfers. From there we walked the Medina and tried our best not to buy anthing as we both had enough to carry. Oh yeah I found an art supply store... he says he is the only one in ALL of Morocco... I think I believe him.
Thanksgiving in Rabat will never match Thanksgiving in Maine, but we had a nice dinner and tried to connect with family during the evening. I was able to call my son and wish him a happy 24th birthday. I finally got skype owork on my computer so I hope to use that more often once I get some privacy.
Now I am in Sefrou, dragged that damn bag all over the place (still had another in Fez)... the weather here is ok, wild winds but better temperature than the last place. Once I get settled here and find an apartment I will start posting some pictures of the city.
Time for my next meal... still haven't gotten use to the amount of food eaten here every day. Lunch is bigger than my dinner back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment