Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Catching up is hard to do...

Since I have internet access today I have to update this blog and do some catching up. As I mentioned in my last post my CBT group rent two "taxis" for the day and head off to Zaouria Ifran, as small village about 90k for my town that is situated in a valley in high in the Middle Atlas Mountains. We piled into the vehicles and off we traveled, first stop was a town name "Suq on Sunday" why, because that is the day the local outdoor market is held and it is the main reason the town exists. We stopped for atay and lqhwa and picked up some xobs for a picnic (tea, coffee and bread) and head out of town, two cars filled with Americans... came to Suq on Sunday... on Sunday and never went to the Suq, no wonder they stare at us and smile... foolish mirikan's come to town and don't even go to Sug... I digress. We head off and after 30k or so we take a sharp left and start to descend down to the town, now the road is really only wide enough for one and a half cars so we will head down slowly... but no, the driver just continues on as if we are on a normal road that is twisting and turn down to the valley.
Needless to say since I am writing this we arrived safe and sound to a spectacular view of these waterfalls pouring down behind the village. After a view picture off we went to climb to the topand over look the falls and have a picnic.
After the picnic we climbed some more as the weather shifted and the mist and rain came down, so we headed down, but only we decided to head back another way... a quicker way that turned into the scence from "Romancing the Stone" as we slide and slipped down a muddy mountain side, crossing streams and small rivers to get back to our taxis and home. It is a very lovely village and the views from the plateau where the waterfalls drop made we wish I had brought my paints on this Sunday afternoon. Still I took many pictures and will post them someday.
I write this from my freezing bedroom where I cna see my breath... the laptop is my one source of heat and my just leave it on and leave it on my chest for warmth. In-shalla I will get my final hub site this Friday and I want say or wish for anything as I might jinx it. Until my next post.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the photos! Is that you? or a CNN reporter? can't wait to hear where you are posted. Sounds like you are learning the language, impressive.
    cj

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice chapeau brother. you havent mentioned the temps yet i dont think. hot? you have to get to that suq some sunday. i want to see pics of that! be well. be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jimmy! I'm loving the pictures. It sounds like you're having an awesome experience over there. I know what you mean about cabs and the narrow roads, they do the same thing in Europe and you have to cross your fingers and hope they know what they are doing. Keep the updates coming, be safe. :)

    ReplyDelete