Well not really "the far side of the world" but from my perch in America it seem that way. I created this blog, as a place to share my stories, observations and creative impulses that crop up in my day-to-day life during my Peace Corps service.

Friday, September 17, 2010

The first week is coming to a close

Friday Evening... where was I last Friday night, all I am going to say was that I had a great night. Now I am sitting in the "conference room" in a Moroccan hotel charging my computer and wondering how the world got so small yet we are all so different. I can email and talk to my friends and family at a moments notice and yet I am living in a country that is very different from the one I was born and raised in. The Moroccan people I have met are a wonderful, friendly people, who have are both funny and serious at the same time, I think it is their reserved nature that makes them appear serious but the few I have engaged are funny, warm and hard working.

Once again I was stuck with a few needles, sat through my medical evaluation, a language class, more doctor (nurse) presentations on how to stay health and the rules of the Peace Corp, then onto another security and safety lecture (yesterday's lecture from the head of security of the Embassy was outstanding if not a little scary for the women in the group). Finally we meet with a group of current volenteers and heard about everything from the "Grand" Taxi and other forms of transportation to the using of one left hand versus the "pink" toilet paper... all of it infromative and very funny.

After a full day I walked down to the beach did a quick sketch and jotted down some thoughts running through my head

Tomorrow we finish you in the town, do a little shopping and then we head out Sunday to our hub-sites and from there to our community-based sites (staying in someones home for 11 weeks). I am an independent sort of person and will have to change my ways a little or a lot to adjust to being a guest in some ones home for the next 2 plus months.

I ahve broken down my luggage once again to one bag of things I will not need for at least the next month or more, another bag that I will pull things out of as the weather changes and finally my backpack which I will live out of from week to week. Form this point forward I will be very busy and not sure how I will keep the blog up-to-date... but in"shalla will do so.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with the move to your host home brother. I wonder if they get the NFL Network. Ha. Sounds like things are going well. Sounds like quite a week. Check your e-mail.
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're adjusting well to your new surroundings, and you should be in your host home by now.

    Is the host home the 'mystery city' you mentioned earlier? Also, Can you post any pictures on this thing? I'd like to see those camels...
    Since you're still connected, I'm sure you heard the Pats stunk out the joint yesterday. They've got to give up on the long ball, Moss can't outrun anybody now.

    BTW: It's a girl. I'll be outmbered 4:1.
    Royc

    ReplyDelete
  3. camels on the beach?! I think I know where you are...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to hear what you did Friday night!

    ReplyDelete